Sunday, May 4, 2014


I recently posted a D.I.Y. on updating some hollow core doors. This was all part of a large overhaul that we did to our main floor. And I'm not kidding when I say Major! Walls were removed to make an open concept. Our home was built in 1949 so it had a bunch of smaller rooms making it feel choppy and it definitely wasn't entertainment friendly. So 1 year ago we began and I am thrilled to say we are finished.  Many visitors to Vintage Pixie Studio ask if my home is decorated like the studio, and I usually say yes but not nearly as full. I have decided to share the results with you...

The walls are many layers of Venetian plaster. I wanted the feel if old plaster walls.

Although it wasn't in the plans the kitchen got a face lift as well. I painted the cupboards with cottage paint to brighten the room and did a mosaic back splash.


We brought interest into the kitchen with a vintage architectural salvaged piece and vintage style shutters.


I like to have vignettes that display my treasures. Here I have covered my collection of antique "Bobbsey Twins" books under a large cloche. The window is missing its glass but I love the shape and the chippy paint.


 
Here the old Bakelite phone works. It is quite a novelty to actually dial a number.  More architectural salvage was used in the large pillar that seems to be holding up the structural beam in the ceiling. Also the huge ballast the phone is on. The bottom shelf of the table holds my collection of antique seltzer bottles.


The sofa table, which is a industrial style piece, is another vignette of collections.  Vintage clocks are housed under a cloche. Old pulleys, antique boxes and an old stove top add to the grouping.  It's fun to group unusual things that you have together.

This buffet was found on one of my buying trips. I have displayed 2 old typewriters that I had. The typewriter prints were a lucky find and are a nice touch. The large old leather books were found at a yard sale for $10.00.  They are a full edition English dictionary from 1897.  A few gears were added to bring in more industrial. The small cloche displays 3 very old brushes, one a whisk, I don't know what the other two are but they are uniquely shaped.

 This is what I like to call Bob's corner. The gas pump was actually from his fathers service station that Bob worked at when he was a kid.  His dad later was a mail carrier, thus the post office sign.  I like to use the unexpected and different when I can, so instead of an end table I have stacked a collection of old suitcases beside the couch.

Corbels were used to hold up a shelf and a curtain rod. On the dining side I have displayed our collection of old coffee grinders and old coffee tins.

We didn't want your standard light fixtures. You may have noticed we like to think outside the box. Above the chaise bob created a unique element by combining 2 vintage safety cage lights and a vintage clothesline pulley.

This light Bob created from a cloche. 

This chandelier was found on one of my many juntiquing expeditions. It needed rewiring and I added 100 year old french documents around the candle sleeves.

Bob insisted on a ceiling fan so to give it an industrial feel he brought it down to the base metal. I painted and distressed the blades and stencilled labels on.

The stairway was a fun project. First bob added board and batten to the walls to give them more visual interest. We then went through our stash and found vintage licence plates, rulers and other items to add to the front of each step.


Although I  know this style of decorating is not for everyone, we are very house proud. We were able to showcase many of our beloved collections and more importantly our personalities.
Come by vintage Pixie Studio and we can gladly help you bring eclectic and unique touches to your home.
























No comments:

Post a Comment